PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Lightning really THAT good ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 12:49
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're all struggling a bit to recall what might constitute such an offense when the number 4 (I think, might have been 3, but it's not relevant) admits to a lag-pursuit roll to switch sides on the rejoin for the break.
Wasn't that Mr Ch** of the flaming engines off Cyprus? I was there, saw it, got the t-shirt .

Re the OP's question; as a missile chappie the Firestreak had the best performance but it wasn't all aspect so had 'less to do' as it were. There was some concern over the Red Top's performance. I think given a choice most WIWOLs would have gone with a couple of Firestreaks.

I was part of a team that did a feasibility study into fitting four 'winders in place of the two RT/Firestreaks. It was a bit late in the day though to be cost effective and as I remember there was no where to put the cooling bottles for the 'winders. They wouldn't fit where the ammonia bottles went in the pylons.

Pride of place in my office is my Firestreak nosecone with a model Lightning inside in a vertical climb (surprise, surprise), and just to show even handedness it has 11 Sqdn markings on one side, 5 on the other and a pair of Red Tops!