PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2014, 21:31
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meanwhile; back in Denmark..

Jinglie –"The ATSB and Minuscule ignore this! My verdict: Corruption!"
Good shot Greedy;
I suppose the truth is that this behaviour has always gone on but the hypocrisy by the wegulator and its wabbits galls.
It's only when you really start peeling back the layers of filth you see the true nature of the beast hidden beneath. But; we must keep faith with the Creampuff Razor doggerel – when faced with the choice of Cock-up or Conspiracy; start with the former and if that fails the smell test; only then may you reach for the conspiracy jigsaw.

The BC analysis of the Pel-Air FRMS was scathing, but he is an expert. The problem began with the introduction of FRMS and the lack of training given to the FOI and managers, combined with a natural tendency to not RTFT (read the fracking thing). Operators just grabbed the opportunity to keep crew on deck longer, also without RTFT; the manual is long and academic. The notion of 'selecting' a nominal score and running the FAID system seemed simple and helpful – if you ignore the awkward bits. Same, same CASA. The parts like an approved roster, published one month in advance were inconvenient, the ramifications not understood and thus, cheerfully ignored.

The lack of FOI education to properly understand the system prevented them guiding operators through and realising the very real limitations FRMS can impose. Done properly, FRMS is in some instances at least as limiting as 48 and in some iterations more onerous. You can see this clearly in the Cook audit. Cook wasn't looking for scalps or scapegoats, he wanted to see the system understood and used correctly, by both sides.

Now W1 is, first and foremost a GWM ladder climbing man and at that time had his sights firmly set on achieving his absolute, definitive level of incompetence. He fancied he could teach ATO how to do their job 'proper' (and that is a hilarious tale from the Bankstown chronicles, reserved for a wet Sunday ramble). To be fair, he did manage the 'Basin' office quite well and being actually qualified as a pilot was approachable, reasonable and fair minded, within his intellectual limitations; he probably had more faith in his minions than was wise; but – I ramble, that story later. Anyway he shuffled onwards and upwards to be replaced by W2. Then as Sarcs mentions, the utterly fatigued James unfortunately makes a series of errors which resulted in the Norfolk ditching.

Well and truly was the scene set and the transition from 'understandable' cock-up' to blatant, high speed cover-up began. At this point, there still remained hope for a honest, transparent solution. Ben Cook rightly pointed out that chronic, lousy fatigue management issues had contributed, as had other damning elements. It's all there in the transcripts and reports. So what happened?

Whether it was done as a favour for 'old mates', or as a sop to a corporate ego; or simply out of spite and malice is unclear. But the combination of ego, arrogance and the opportunity to wield untrammelled power was irresistible. Just blame it all on the pilot – easy fix. The funny thing is, had they played the thing straight, the entire thing would have slipped through to the keeper and not much said. Honestly admitting some error on both the CASA and company part, followed by self correction would have seen the whole thing out of the woods, very neatly.

But, W2 was fired up and determined to impress the top floor, unfortunate bumps in the road to fame and fortune, such as the Cook audit and unsigned RCA were swept, disrespectfully aside. Under orders the inconvenient truth and unflattering pictures were dismissed and with a twirl of the golden pen – all was put to rights in record time. Was the boss pleased – Oh yes. Wodger had the added bonus of crucifying his own men, getting the job done in record time and he got to completely destroy the career of a pilot: a habit to which he became increasingly addicted.

For the IOS all the proof required is there in Hansard and the audit reports from the FOIA requests. Damn me, but the Senate committee went so close to having a wabbit pie, shame Truss put the kybosh on that – and you have to wonder why; seeing as now it leaves him vulnerable to attack, by the opposition. The old saw of 'not embarrassing' the minuscule won't cut the mustard; on the red face index, Pel Air just don't signify. Hells bells, he could have had Albo on toast over this episode, but he chose not to bring it to the attention of the Hoi Polloi. Passing strange I'd say, for a professional Polly to waive away a points scoring free kick before an election.. Strange are the ways of gummint.

But, FWIW, IMO a promotion to the 'international' managers desk and being feted at the RAeS smacks of rewards from the GWM, for a job well done.

As the day is my own and the dogs always enjoy a ramble, I believe I shall seek some quiet place for a while; far away from the awful stench emanating from the posterior office of matters aeronautical. Fresh air and sunshine; balm for the soul.

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

Selah.

Last edited by Kharon; 17th Sep 2014 at 21:40. Reason: Hiya Freddy – thanks mate.