PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2014, 12:57
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Phoenix_
Then elevator is more and more driven NU, due to integration of the increasingly large CL error. Yes, there the pilot was right, but the aircraft response went badly wrong.
Sorry - not buying that - I've never been entirely convinced that the DFDR elevator readout doesn't take the THS position into account. I see OG has popped along - Owain, what's your take on this?

What I can tell you is that in the sim, the THS began rolling forward less than a second after the stick was held ND.

Also, the movement in the time period you state is two "blips" forward - while it trends that way, it's nowhere near enough to make a significant difference.

maybe the sidestick is not suitable for the hand of pilot in distress
Plenty of successfully and safely landed emergencies on Airbus FBW types say otherwise.

I'm wondering what if he kept the sidestick inadvertently at max NU while fought to bring the wings to horizontal...
No - the spring centralisation is very noticeable - you know when you're breaking it out of the central position. A deflection of that magnitude can only be deliberate.