PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA North Western Australia
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2014, 12:16
blue_manx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright after being up North for a while let me help you guys out. First I can tell you now there has never been a Greek Pilot at BAS and if there was, it is a very recent addition. He is a good man and he is giving young pilots their first chance. He could easily turn around, tell the CP no one below 700 hours and lower his insurance premiums and if that was to happen you would all be up crab creek without a crab net, but he wants to see young guys start out on the 210 and walk out flying the Kingair.

It is up to the Chief Pilot and you know what your right it's who you know. Only because the Chief Pilots don't remember every single pilot who walks through the door to say hi. That really isn't their job as they are probably overloaded with work already. Yes they like to get the opinions of their current pilots of who is in town and who is decent because although you may have a pilot license, in the end you are the final product that the customer sees and if your a clown, constantly on the piss and shoot your mouth off in public, why exactly would they risk taking you on only to add to the stress of managing the company in the first place. Yes he still has your CV and he will bring it out when the time is right.

My advice, find a pilot share house, great source of information. Dont bother them too much about flying and the company they work for. Just sit, relax,have a drink and enjoy the night, they are going to tell you about their day anyway. Have a laugh and enjoy the time. They will think your a great person. Eventually when the doors open up, they will put your name forward if they haven't been already without you even asking. Get a job in town that involves some form of customer service. You never know who you might meet just by working behind the bar or at a restaurant. Wow!!! Now I have described how to get a reference for someone that he and you both know rather than some instructor over East who he has never heard and they probably wouldn't even remember you either.

If your a recluse you will stay a recluse. Pop your in head in once every three weeks, maybe submit a CV with your Broome address and not your mum and dad's house back in Victoria or New South Wales. A cover letter with the correct Chief Pilots name at the front helps and not the one you just went to.

Also keep in mind there is barely any movement in the Industry at the moment, once people get their break in an aviation company they tend to stick in it till it's time to move on. If no one at the top is moving then there is no one at the bottom moving. Sit tight, relax and enjoy the ride. You will eventually get everything you want, just be patient.