PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind farms 2
Thread: Wind farms 2
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2014, 11:48
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via Avgas172:
In England, there were 163 wind turbine accidents that killed 14 people in 2011. Wind produced about 15 billion kWhrs that year, so using a capacity factor of 25%, that translates to about 1,000 deaths per trillion kWhrs produced (the world produces 15 trillion kWhrs per year from all sources).

These are pretty low numbers. By contrast, in 2011 coal produced about 180 billion kWhrs in England with about 3,000 related deaths. Nuclear energy produced over 90 billion kWhrs in England with no deaths. In that same year, America produced about 800 billion kWhrs from nuclear with no deaths.
I think we better get rid of all those coal mines ....
Hmmm... 3000 eh.. i think you need to put some more thought to that Avgas172. Just for a start, what is the death rate for the mines that supply the wind turbine materials ? e.g. rare earths, etc. I think we mine more coal then the poms in Oz... 3000!... work place health and safety would be having a fit.

Also, a link to your quote would be nice. I've done the old copy and paste a sentence to google trick and no credible site luck yet.