PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 8th Sep 2014, 21:31
Helihopefull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fly or not to fly!!

I completed my PPL(H) in 2008 but haven’t flown for 4 years due to work and financial commitments.
For these 4 years I have thought about nothing apart from flying again and have really missed it. I am disillusioned with my job so now I have decided to carry out my dream and continue with flying helicopters again.
My issue is the old favorite of money and spending money with no guarantee of a job at the end.
I read on all the flying schools websites that there is or will be a shortage of chopper pilots within the next year or so. This maybe propaganda to take my money and give me false hope but naively and optimistically I hope this is true and they are not the scammers of the century!
I’ve looked online to see what jobs there are and this may have been my first mistake. On looking there doesn’t seem to be many jobs and the ones I have seen seem to have everybody and their dog going for it.
Are there jobs out there or am I for a major disappointment?
I’m still going to push on with my dreams but the question now is where to go to learn?
I am English but do I train in the UK where I would have to sell every organ in my body or go somewhere warm like the good old US of A??
I know I would have to put travel and accommodation into my funding but it still seems to come out cheaper by the hour compared to good old blighty.
If I get my FAA exams all the way from hour building, IFR, CPL, CFI and then CFII, it’s going to cost me a fortune to change back to the new EASA.
Sooooooo, if it costs me a lot to change my licenses over, would it be a waste of time going the US way and just bite the proverbial bullet and do my licenses in England?
Also where is the best place to learn and hopefully be taken on at the end?
If you wish you can PM me.
Thanks guys.