PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Lightning really THAT good ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 13:18
sarn1e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't the Station Commander at Valley upset by something similar?
BEagle's story predates mine somewhat, but, from his Woodvale timing, I sense that Phil9560 is talking about a different incident...

September 1987, the last Lightning MPC (Firestreak). Valley Stn Cdr is an ex-Red Arrow leader and Harrier mate. We're in the middle of an MPC with 50 missiles to get rid of and, because we're like that, we've brought a two-seater to fly passengers on the firings. Strangely, we have no student takers because the word has got out from on high that we're "cowboys" (I presume that means that the students were advised against fraternizing - in the bar or in the air) so the only pax we get are WIWOL QFIs and exchange officers who all think it's a real hoot shooting big fireworks at targets various, especially in the dark and two at a time.

Anyway, come one Friday and it's a 4FTS graduation day. As the local fighter sqn in residence, the Mighty Maples are asked for a flypast, which we are delighted to provide. I'm running the MPC and we've got a gap in the firing programme so I'm on the desk when the boys set off for a 2v2 OpEx before coming back to do the Box 4 for mums and dads. Memory fades, but my recollection is that there were 3 ex-Valley QFIs in the formation - so they knew what was required.

4-ship flies past uneventfully and comes back in for the break, lands. So far, so dull. Until we get a call from the other side of the airfield to place the formation members in open arrest for illegal low-level aerobatics! We're all struggling a bit to recall what might constitute such an offense when the number 4 (I think, might have been 3, but it's not relevant) admits to a lag-pursuit roll to switch sides on the rejoin for the break.

Now, 11 Group Air Staff Orders were very clear on this manoeuvre - specifically taught as part of the LIMOP phase - which was required to get upward-pointing missiles to acquire low-level targets. So 4's manoeuvre was safe, legal and correctly authorized. We inform Stn Cdr accordingly, but there's no pacifying him. So the said chaps spend the weekend in Rhosneigr in slightly bemused open arrest...

Come the Monday morning, some of us are in the Stn met brief when the Stn Cdr decides to stand up and declare to the assembled staff and students that "last Friday we were treated to an amateurish display by the Lightnings of 5 Sqn". Well, the assembled Valley throng were embarrassed, we were furious, and things only got more amusing from there.

I forget the precise timing of phone calls to bosses et al, but as we got back across the airfield to STCAAME a T5 was breaking into the circuit. As I went out to greet it, Binbrook's Stn Cdr was climbing out asking "where's my car?" followed shortly afterwards with a word to the offending ex-creamie QFI (he of the lag-pursuit roll) along the lines of "now then xxx, that'll teach you for being a fighter pilot". Said Stn Cdr then disappeared across the airfield in a squeal of burning rubber...

I wasn't there in the room, so have no idea what was actually said, but am reliably informed from those who overheard that it went along the lines of "Who the xxxx do you think you are? Don't you ever bad-mouth my boys in public like that again, especially when you don't know WTF you're talking about, etc".

Fast black then reappears at high speed. Stn Cdr asks if his jet has been turned (it had), notes that we "should have no more problems" and climbs up the ladder.

Within about 30 minutes from touchdown there is a pleasing roar as the Binbrook Stn Cdr rotates right alongside the Valley Stn Cdr's office and disappears upwards.

I learnt about command and leadership from that.