PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Force tracking unresponsive flight over the Atlantic
Old 6th Sep 2014, 10:28
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urely the controller should have given a very firm instruction to descend? I have to wonder whether the controller could now conceivably face manslaughter charges?
Had the controller been given adequate training for this extremely rare occurence, I would be in full agreement.

As it is, an imperfect, pragmatic system is operating. In my early Prooning days, I was shouted down for suggesting that the Tower, seeing a Wheels-up approach, did not warn the PIC and should have done.
" Not their responsibility! it's down to the PIC " the idea that ayou can take a "jobsworth" attitude and sit back and watch someone "crash and burn" is alien to me. Heck, if your best mate got infatuated with a 2-timing ripoff ratbag, you'd warn them, wouldn't you?
The PIC was just that....at his age and experience, in charge of a pressurised (sophisticated) Aircraft and being an authoritative buisinessman, one would have hoped his leadership skills would have allowed him to TELL ATC what he was doing....Also, of course, is the issue of Oxy management and the fact the aircraft was still in the "shakedown" phase of it's life.
Sad, preventable, IMO, both he and atc contributed to the accident. According to the transcript, he knew he had a problem and what it was....His training and recent transition to that aircraft, should have made him very aware of the hypoxia risk....it wasn't communicated to ATC.
the only consolation, is that they died peacefully. there are a lot worse ways to go. any Aviator must be aware of that.