PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Emergency Landing at East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 14:50
pcpmitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't often comment as I'm only SLF, even though I fly a lot, but I have noticed a few issues that need to be addressed by the industry regarding overwing exits.

The safety briefing regarding leaving the aircraft in an emergency emphasises the slides, however if you exit via the wing then there is no slide so passengers aren't sure what to do. (appreciate some large ac do have slides). To some people it is a long drop even with flaps 40. Don't forget you are standing up so it looks a long way down especially if you are not in the first flush of youth.

The exit row seats used to be a perk for frequent flyers who, on the balance of probabilities, would probably have more idea of what to do in an emergency. (though agreed this could not be counted on)

The safety briefing isn't clear when the over wing exits should be opened, the cabin crew, when they give the one to one briefing at the seat, state "in an emergency", not "when told to be cabin crew". Some people may freeze, some may react too quickly.

Regards
Mitch