PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Lightning really THAT good ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 08:28
Kluseau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fonsini
Technically the F.2A could fly with a fit of 6 x 30mm ADEN, if faced with fighters I always imagined this to be the better option.
Originally Posted by newt
It never had a six gun fit! The F2/F2A had permanent upper Adens and could fit a gun pack to replace the missile pack so a total of four Adens!
Forsini, I was wondering if you had in mind a theoretical possibility of adding the two Mk6 ventral tank Adens to the four F2/F2A Adens newt refers to? As another long term consumer of Lightning reading matter and an avid spotter of them at Binbrook and Gutersloh in the 1970s, I've never seen reference to this as a possibility, still less it being done.

But come to that, was the four Aden fit on the F2 and F2A ever more than a theoretical option? Was the lower gun pack ever actually fitted in preference to the two missiles? The only F2A I've ever seen with four Adens is the 92 Sqn aircraft on show at the Scottish National Museum of Flight at East Fortune. Irritatingly, it also has the missiles fitted, making it the best armed Lightning there (n)ever was...