PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines (info please)
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 10:31
never_home

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for those useful replies.

I am married with older kids and would intend to semi-commute, i.e. maintain a home in the UK and return a few times a year but also get involved in a life in SE Asia. My wife would do the same. We do not have massively expensive tastes but I would like a clean spacious apartment/ house in which to retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Now you may think I am a fool, and please do say so if you think it, but I am currently a relatively senior BA shorthaul Captain on a full time contract. BA is going hell for leather down the low cost road and is ripping up its agreements with its pilots. BA, because of their extensive network are able to work their flight crew extremely hard and many of us are bouncing off legal limits with EASA FTLs just round the corner. Nightstops aplenty but mostly just 13 hours off before another 12 hour duty. All this in an atmosphere of weariness and extreme low morale.

I have another 6 years to go before I hang up my hat for good and I would like to finish by enjoying my flying again. At present the VN contract falls short of enticing but if they were to compete with the pay in China, it could be tempting. My question is; is it worth considering leaving a stable but unpleasant employer to join one that may be much the same. What is VN like to work for, management and colleagues alike? What does a "normal" roster look like? How flexible are the scheduling staff? How many sectors per day and nightstops per month? Are the sim checks chop or train? How many ADDs are carried and is the maintenance a worry? Answers to all those sorts of questions would be gratefully received.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, guys.

Thanks

Last edited by never_home; 4th Sep 2014 at 10:37. Reason: Thought of another question to plague you with!