PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East is bad... So where to?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 07:08
Laker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry,

I was being slightly dramatic. But I'm sure you've noticed a large portion of the pilot group live out and supplement the relatively modest basic salary with extra income from the housing allowance. After renting a cheap 1-2 bedroom flat a few years ago a pilot could easily add 2kUSD per month to their savings account.

With the 18+ month run up in housing prices that is no longer a viable option. So as Sam Ting Wong stated you are left with about $8,000 USD and living in company housing. For some people that is a great gig. For others it is sorely lacking considering the numerous challenges/expenses of living in Dubai and flying 89-92 hours per month. Some look at a town home in Meydan as a dream home, others would be depressed after six months. It's all perspective I guess. But the new norm is smaller villas out in the desert.

As for buying a place with the housing allowance. That worked out great for some. It would take some serious stones for a new joiner to commit 4+ million AED for a shoddily built villa in the city of hype following a 2 year run up in prices. But maybe I'm overly cautious.

Those who don't want to live in company accommodation and sign in every guest they have are provided a housing allowance of roughly 170k for FO's and 190k for CA's. Up until quite recently that was more than enough.

Go to Dubizzle and check out decent sized one bedroom apartments in the downtown area, Marina, or Palm. The nicer ones are 150-180k. When you add the 5% commission, 5% housing tax, and 5% damage deposit you are likely going to be over your allowance. Then when you consider DEWA bills you can be well over your allowance. Of course you can find cheaper ones.

What I was trying to point out is that someone who joins TODAY. Not 10 years ago, or even 3 years ago, but TODAY cannot afford to live the lifestyle that an Emirates salary historically provided. Unless they commit significant outside resources. The package of a 380/777CA at EK relative to what it will buy you in Dubai if you joined at the present time is not that stellar. I'm guessing Harry that you bought a nice big villa in Arabian Ranches years ago or else you live in one of the remaining good Villas that the company hasn't dumped yet. Your experience is going to be vastly different from someone joining today. Ok now you can tell me how i got it all wrong