PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windfarms
Thread: Windfarms
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 11:09
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Others here didn't In fact they said I was full of ****
Well, with comments such as the following, I can understand that point of view.

Even on still days they take current from the grid to turn the blades so they don't break
Why would a wind turbine take current from the grid, to continue their rotation?
What is going to break on a wind turbine when it stops turning on a windless day??
Does this mean that you can't stop any prop-powered aircraft engine in case something breaks, when it's stopped??

FYI - I've just spent a restful 3 days on Rottnest Island. Rottnest has a wind turbine (real close to an airstrip, too! ).
That turbine provides quite a substantial amount of additional power (37%) for the people of Rottnest. Never heard anyone raise even the slightest complaint about it. It's less than a km from a lot of the housing there, too (350M, in fact).

What was even more surprising is that, yesterday - unusually for Rottnest (where the wind blows strongly almost every day) - the wind stopped completely, it was dead calm.
The Rottnest wind turbine actually stopped turning for half an hour - and the blades never fell off it!!

I saw this with my own eyes!! - and I'll swear that fact on a stack of Bibles, yer honour!