PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 22:00
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little sunshine - for Sunny.

I don't know how many of you caught the ABC 'Australian story' last week, it's not one I usually watch, but just as I reached for the remote (love the STFU button) the lady being interviewed caught my attention. Joanne McCarthy a journalist with the Newcastle Herald won the prestigious Gold Walkley for her efforts reporting and exposing child sex abuse. The lady runs marathons and used the race as an analogy to explain her campaign; starting off fresh, working through the middle barriers and finally to the business end – finishing. She likened the final stages of her 'campaign' to those last few clicks – and freely admits that the most difficult part was actually seeing the job through to the end. Bravo Ms. McCarthy....

I believe there is a parallel story running with aviation reform; the last few clicks once again being the toughest; so nearly there but not yet across 'that' line. It is of little value to be petulant because our own wishes were not gratified, immediately. Stopping now because it all seems too hard simply allows the competition to run on past and win the trophy. Being beaten after a full on effort is acceptable, pride and self worth an added bonus; but to quit is diminishing. You can only loose to yourself. As Jo McCarthy discovered, it all comes down to you and that last little bit.

That is where I believe we are; the Senators have been and remain magnificent support; the Rev. Forsyth report is there cheering; the TSBC waving flags and cheering the FAA looking on holding their breath. But they are spectators, industry is the one in the race and if it means to win; it must find the willpower, courage and determination to finish the bloody race.

The crowd will always applaud the winner, the bookies always make a dollar, the spectators will end up tucked in warm and cosy at home; the competitors are left with the question – did I do all I could - to win? If the answer is yes; then the willpower and courage to try again is reinforced. If no, then you weren't beaten; you lost. IF.

I hear there is some good news in the wind today. We shall see..

Selah...

Last edited by Kharon; 2nd Sep 2014 at 22:17. Reason: Dunno mate - must be something in the coffee.