PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 "traps for young players"
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2014, 11:03
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
RAA pilots have already done a BAK exam. Do you think GA flying schools will shortcut common sense just to hand out an AFR on them? Do you honestly think 1500 kg is harder than 600?
Yes.

I certainly do believe there are people out there of dubious integrity who will be happy to hand out the conversion without any thought to letting someone go and wipe themselves out. There are certainly schools out there who do it properly, but when I get a student who takes six lessons on stalling to get past yelling "NO! NO! NO!" and either latching onto your arm for grim death or shoving the column forward to stop the aircraft even buffeting because his RA instructor thought it would be a good idea to show what a gun he was by spinning the Jab as an intro to stalling, then you can understand my skepicism.

I have seen (and reported) instructors handing out AFR's (illegally three years after they left the authorising school) and airspace endos (on a non-current instructor's say-so) and seeing a VCA the very next day.
You really think the system isn't going to get a few dodgys in there?

Seen plenty of people new to a 300bhp conti go skewing off the left side when they firewalled the throttle in a 200 series and went along for the ride. And they were already used to 172s.

300 vs. 100 bhp? Yeah, mate, it's different.