PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2014, 13:11
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Dick,

I am honoured to be personally addressed. No, I don't fly a Nomad - never have and probably never will. Those who know me know that the title is a play on my name and it also kind of fits the pilot occupation well...

I do currently fly an aircraft made in Europe but I have flown in a humble total of 3 countries and there always seems to be a clear description of what radio frequencies people should be using - where and when. The difference is perhaps that in Australia we always seem to be arguing over constant fiddling changes to that which in the end is probably worse and more confusing for people. In one of the other countries (a near neighbour to the north) there most certainly ARE area frequencies and boundaries marked on charts and broadcasts by IFR and VFR is standard practice.

How do think they operate VFR aircraft in Class E and G airspace safely in these countries?
Been done to death before but one of the big differences is radar coverage (or lack thereof) which undoubtedly comes into play - especially when IFR and VFR mix.

I remember occasions in years gone by when operating VFR, being on the correct area frequency enabled me to pipe up to assist in facilitating separation with descending higher performance IFR aircraft. Also, one can take notice and be reminded of military LJR activity in your area as advised by ATC etc.

At the end of the day, it matters not if you are IFR or VFR or ATC, there are times when it is beneficial if everyone sharing a parcel of airspace is on the same page by being on the same frequency. There are also times when locations should have their own frequency for ALL pilots in that area to sort themselves out on. What we really DON'T need is any more confusion about it.

By the way, when I was at Woolies last week I made a point of buying your Australian Strawberry spreadable fruit. Supporting local producers and manufacturers where possible is at least one thing we can hopefully agree on!