PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 27th Aug 2014, 07:07
ancientaviator62

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Coffman,
my how your baby has grown. It is nice to hear from those not directly associated with the 'K' but who have seen it or flown in it.

This pic could almost be another caption competition, as it looks like it will not fit. As always there is an explanation. As the CONDEC loaders aged they became ever more difficult for the very skilful drivers to control. Sometimes the only way to adjust it was to take it up to max height and carefully lower it. Which is what is happening here as they load a low frame training MSP.
The ALM was always responsible for airdrop loading whatever method was used and damage to your a/c could severely damage your career.
I used to brief the CONDEC driver to watch me at all times and if I signaled STOP that's what he was to do ASAP. Any of the loading time could call stop, but only I could initiate proceedings. In all my time on the 'K' this system ensured that I never did have a loader smite the a/c.