PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 24th Aug 2014, 20:41
Self loading bear

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Diginagain,

Still a lot of fog since one month ago?
I did my training last week at Den Helder airport.
Actually quite a good training.
  • Verbal instruction in Dutch supported by power point presentation.
  • Video (Same as linked on this thread before) (in English)
  • Dry training

With 11 participants we were ready in 1 hour. We all think we are generally better off with this new CA-EBS.

One disadvantage not mentioned in the video but believed to be a point by all the participants:
  • The possibility of un-observed loss of air when the purge button is slightly pushed. This might happen in a cramped heli when you fall asleep.
It was hilarious that most were not afraid that it would happen to them if there would be a ditch. They were more worried that their relief colleague coming on board with the helicopter would fall asleep and empty the bottle and that they would be forced to stay on board the platform with no spare life-jackets or spare bottle available!!

I already had put the question out to NOGEPA before you suggested.
They have responded:
For the moment it is only NAM/SHELL (with DanCopter) who have chosen to make the change for all Dutch NAM platforms.
They expected that Wintershall and Centrica might be the first ones to follow as they too have some operations which are flown from both sides. But they use CHC and NHV. I believe the operators who use CHC have some kind of helicopter sharing agreement which makes it more difficult to change over?
Nothing formal and no signs that Dutch government will take over this to be enforced on Dutch side as well.

The courses are now also given by Falck and STC-KNRM in Netherlands for € 75.

Hats-off for such a quick implementation.
When I wrote my previous post on this thread I did not know that training in the UK was already in full swing. I thought they only just had the new approved device. In mean time about the number of the core crews of UK personnel has had the course.

http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/26100-offshore-workers-trained-with-emergency-breathing-system/

How much contractors/non-core-crew would there be in UK? 50.000-75.000??
Should be do-able with on-going training rate.

SLB