PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 15:59
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if any landing right down to touchdown is not right a Go around should be instigated if the pilot does not feel he can resettle the aircraft safely from a bounce or whatever.

if a detached arm meant the pilot continued the landing on a wing and a prayer then thats wrong.

i was not there so have no idea whether it was a wing and a prayer landing or a bad bounce or drift which the pilot could fully control without a Go around.

i have seen able bodied pilots become passengers to a botched landing.
The seneca twin can go into a bucking motion which will eventually lead to violent bucks until the aircraft breaks the nose and falls on the props.
The only way out of this situation is to apply power and back pressure not to continue braking and trying to stop the aircraft.

The able bodied pilot remained frozen at the controls feet firmly on the brakes and it was only my own intervention which stopped us breaking the nose and falling on the props.

As stated I am sure this pilot is excellent but only he knows whether the continued landing was a decision by a pilot in full control or a wing and a prayer landing not in full control because of the missing arm.

if it was a wing and a prayer landing then that needs to be addressed so it does not happen again, able bodied or not!

Last edited by Pace; 23rd Aug 2014 at 16:11.