PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 01:12
Danny42C

Geriaviator,

Very sorry to hear that you've fallen into the clutches of the cardiologists, but I'm sure that you'll soon be back "firing on all four cylinders" (rather an apt expression in your case, I would have thought ?).

From all I hear, the risk is vanishingly small. I myself got trolleyed in a couple of years ago, but I got the "Dyno-Rod" job instead - angioplasty (in common with our revered and somewhat outspoken Prince Consort: he and I are of an age). When you get back home, you can be sure of one thing: however many pills you're taking now, you can reckon on doubling it !

The "Swan Songs" keep coming in (your last one was a smasher !) and YLSNED. One curious thing, my Shrewsbury swans always used the river instead of the perfectly good and ample greensward of the "Quarry" which ran alongside it (and in the early mornings there was no one about - not like DHfan's Dad's chap, who had to be Taken in Charge by him (for Driving a Swan without Due Care and Attention ?)

I would have supposed that a land take-off would be more energy-efficient than that from water, but it seemed not to be so. I wonder whether the "ground effect" over water is more pronounced than over "ground", and that tipped the balance - after all, the swans have been at it for a long time, and should have it all worked-out by now (and do you remember that fascinating TV programme, a few years ago: "The Great Caspian Sea Monster", which demonstrated what "Ground Effect" can really do ?)

Meanwhile, you, your wife (who is now hopefully recovered from her accident) and your family have the sympathy and prayers of me and mine. Get well soon ! (I'm sure all our PPRuNers are with me on this).

Cheers, Danny.