PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 20th Aug 2014, 17:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem in the Flybe incident was that an unforeseen and catastrophic failure mode occurred (catastrophic in the sense that the prosthesis detached suddenly and could not be reattached in time to complete the landing.
Three Thousand

This is the bit where I think he made an incorrect judgement! He should have gone around or instigated a command to his FO to take control and go around.
Here able bodied or not there should not be any allowances at any phase of the landing the commander should be in a position to go around even with a bad touchdown probably even more so with a bad landing.

Having gone back to a safe altitude probably in a holding pattern the Commander should have fixed the problem and landed or if not in a position to do so got the FO to land under his supervision.

Probably never expecting the arm to detach the commander never briefed the FO in that likelihood or their roles in that situation which I am sure now he will do.
Continuing a landing where the commander is not in full control is inexcusable and that is a lesson to be learnt.

As for removing him ? That is a ridiculous suggestion but lessons learnt to insure it never happens again through special procedural training and CRM is not.
That should never be that a pilot who is not in full control should continue with landing