PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 19th Aug 2014, 19:41
toaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. gatbusdriver: but the problem was rectified
How was it rectified ? As far as I know the CAA still allows any prosthetic arm to be used with no regard to its reliability.

I know some guys who use prosthetics, they do wear out and require replacement occasionally. So often they end up with multiples at times, the old ones and newer ones and sometimes continue using both. The newer ones may be more advanced.

I don't see any regulation stipulating that a prosthetic arm has to be the same one from day to day. The passengers might get lucky and fly with the newer improved one, or perhaps they fly with the older worn out prosthetic arm. Do you feel lucky ? This is an extreme scenario but it demonstrates that the industry values disabled pilot job retention, in the exact same job, far above passenger safety, even with the extra risks, now demonstrated and likely to occur again if prosthetic arm quality isn't ensured. Either give him a good reliable (built to aircraft safety standards) arm to use or find him a job that doesn't involve landing flares. Compared to a crash investigation how much can a good prosthetic arm cost ?