PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 16th Aug 2014, 10:25
Cloud1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This story just goes to show how dangerous the media can be. The event happened ages ago and in the time since the landing and it making the headlines I suspect the Captain involved has completed many landings without issue.

I cannot believe for one second that his colleagues at his base did not know about his arm and should he have been away from base or working with unfamiliar crew I cannot believe the FO did not notice this. Had the FO been aware of the issues surrounding the "detachment" he or she would have taken control. The very small window of opportunity for any communication is ultimately the reason why no hand over of flight controls were made. It is an unfortunate incident but very isolated.

Maybe a bit more awareness and observation during critical stages of flight is necessary and it sounds like Flybe have recognised that through their review of procedures

I for one have no problem with the Captain and hope that he continues to enjoy the career which he so loves.