PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 14th Aug 2014, 23:05
Matey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 2009 I ended up with a cardiac pacemaker and thought my flying days were over. Thanks to a practical and sympathetic approach by the medical department of the CAA, and very thorough analysis and testing, I regained my licence and returned to work. I am subject, quite rightly, to regular testing by the CAA, and am probably one of the least risk pilots on the UK register as a result. How many of you gents and ladies can put your hand on your heart ( no pun intended), and say that you have no hidden medical issues which could affect your ability to operate in a commercial air transport environment? The Class 1 medical is not particularly rigorous, and it is only when a medical issue arises that the full medical spotlight is shone on you. As a result, my company have the benefit of over 20,000 hours experience, and I continue to support my family. The CAA will have thought long and hard about this gentleman's circumstances, and will have come up with an appropriate response, thus preserving the benefits of his experience at the same time as addressing risk factors. As an aside, although I can fly their customers anywhere in the world, the UK insurance industry will not give me holiday travel insurance due to my medical circumstances, despite the fact that their customers are in my care on a daily basis! I am sure that any lessons to be learnt from this occurrence will be taken on board and appropriate adjustments to requirements made.