PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 14th Aug 2014, 20:05
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish this chap all the best. I too have heard from pilots on social media who have made statements in his defense after being bombarded with questions of 'have you flown with this guy?!' Nothing but fine things to say about a guy who has flown into Belfast on many occasions in horrendous condition without incident. Even this wasn't a terrible incident. I'm sure most of us have been in a squeaky bum situation where we thought....S*/T! But it was a non-event because we have 2 arms.

But what I'm curious about is how would you fly from the right seat if you've lost your left arm? There are 2 yokes so if there was a failure of the left limb as a Captain, the F/O could wrestle the aircraft out of trouble with his/her yoke and give you time to sort yourself out.

However if you're flying in the right seat and since there is one set of throttles...surely you can't clamp the arm to the throttles?! If there were to be some sort of failure of the limb and it is stuck to the ONLY set of throttles I would imagine you could be in some sort poo.

Pardon my ignorance. I am sure they have come up with a procedure and everything is safe. I just cannot see what it could be. Unless you can only fly from the left.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b2IqpPSF9-U

Last edited by Desert Budgie; 14th Aug 2014 at 20:18. Reason: Added Video Link