PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL with on-site accommodation in nice location?
Old 7th Aug 2014, 10:37
worldpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have one thing to keep in mind, when going EFT. FL is a great place to fly, airfields are large-paved-easy, you are able to spool down hours after hours quite quickly there and the weather is almost always nice, BUT - this is exactly the drawback, especially when talking piloting in Denmark.

I am currently based Northern Germany and frequently flying into Denmark (some real great places there!). Weather is a great issue, strong crosswinds upon landing are common and the typical DK airstrip a short small gras mogul slope. My bet after following some chaps Florida education in recent years: you will need significant extra training when coming back from FL to handle small fields. Our fellow US guys tend to train landing approaches with slightly higher landing speed, about 5-10 knots in excess to what we train in Europe. If you do this at Kegnaes International EKKI on 36 downslope 1300ft gras you are in the water, or at Femoe you may hit the restaurant (oneway RWY).

Sorry for such an advice, but if you plan to fly in Denmark, get an education which clearly enables to. If you have some doubts about that, I'll come and take you to some demonstration in Denmark ;-).
Fact is, that landings are a much less reproducible activity. But to attribute the lapses you observed in your associates to Florida weather and airport runways is clearly a misjudgement. There is absolutely no way to substantiate your claim.
If your associates are displaying in-capabilities in handling airport landing runways, then this surely must be attributed to their immaturity in applying safety factors to AFM performance information for landing purposes.

A pilot and the airplane always work as a team and the pilot must map his/her capabilities with that of the airplane to derive the performance information needed to successfully land the airplane and come to a complete stop. In essence, the pilot must take the AFM into consideration and align all the necessary variables to achieve a positive landing outcome.

WP