PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2014, 09:32
PilotInPink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luckily, a lot of the people who are too lazy to read it all are also too lazy to fly out here to check things out.

On the flip side, unfortunately many of the people who decide to visit don't appear to have done any research at all. Unbelievable in this day and age. Everything is just a quick google search away. Less than half of the guys that show up have type ratings. I wish I had a dollar for all the times I've heard complaints about how 'Maun used to be the paradise of fresh CPLs, 500 hours is ridiculous. No one told me that things had changed here. How am I ever meant to get that many hours?!'. Then there's the guys who expect to get a job in the two days they're here.

As for my favourite job seeker quotes from the last six months (may not be word for word accurate but it's how I like to remember them)...

"Where are all the twins parked? It's just single engines parked on this apron"

"You land on dirt? And you say the strip is how long?" "I landed on a 1500m runway once. That was pretty short"

"How many airstrips are in the delta? 5? 10? Doesn't it get complicated with all the control zones overlapping?"

"I can't stand VFR flying. IFR is where it's at"

"Who needs a map? And why are you learning the runway headings? Just fly the approaches on the GPS to every strip and you'll be fine"

"I've never seen any of the pilots use a check list. How do they know how to start the engine or do run ups?"

Overheard in a conversation with a chief pilot: "I'm only willing to stay for a year. I might stretch to eighteen months at the most. And how long until I fly the caravan, I'm not interested in piston time". (The guy had 220 hours).

"I've been here a week already and I can't believe nothing has happened!" (200 hr, no ratings)