View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2014, 08:54
andrewr

Well, CAR 206 says:

206 Commercial purposes (Act, s 27(9))
(1)For the purposes of subsection 27(9) of the Act, the following commercial purposes are prescribed:
(a) aerial work purposes, being purposes of the following kinds (except when carried out by means of a UAV):
(i) aerial surveying;
(ii) aerial spotting;
(iii) agricultural operations;
(iv) aerial photography;

Subsection 27(9) of the Act in a roundabout way says that an AOC is required to fly for purposes prescribed in CAR 206.

CAR 2(7)(d) lists
(ii) aerial spotting where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the spotting is conducted;
(iii) agricultural operations on land owned and occupied by the owner of the aircraft;
(iv) aerial photography where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted;

as private operations.

CAR 206 does not make exclusions based on remuneration, ownership of the land etc.

I have been told that e.g. agricultural operations on a station using the station aircraft could be flown by a pilot with a PPL. My best guess from reading the regulations is that CAR 206 means that the station would still need an AOC for agricultural operations, even if the pilot only needs a PPL.

As I said, I haven't seen how this is interpreted in real life, so I could be off the mark.

Last edited by andrewr; 29th Jul 2014 at 08:56. Reason: formatting