PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 06:05
SWBKCB

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
Let's get some things straight - aviation is one of the slowest-progressing industries in the world, nothing happens overnight not just for DTVA but anywhere, and here you all are expecting a long-term plan which was announced barely a few months ago to be reaping fruit practically overnight?!
The Masterplan - from memory, it was something along the lines of:
  • Reduce costs by binning 'costly' big airlines like Thomson, Balkan Holidays, MOD charters - still baffling to me, but tick in the box

• Encourage business relevant short range regional flights - KLM/Eastern flights have been maintained with some modest growth, but no new developments yet - jury still out

• Encourage existing/additional aviation related businesses - Sycamore quiet, no significant growth in other resident co's although Cobham/SERCO state they are happy, Skydive company attracted (how busy are they?), no other additional companies attracted (we'll ignore the exotic agricultural enterprise!)- jury still out

• Housing development to fund additional development - still at the planning stage but considerable local opposition although local authorities seem on board. Like others, I don't see how significant housing so near to the terminal goes with continued aviation activity - jury still out

• Long term investment in infrastructure to encourage aviation related businesses - after repeated RGF failings, finally obtained some 'pump priming' Govt funds. While I've no problem with such investments, Peel do give the impression it wouldn't be happening without somebody else paying - jury still out

anything I've missed, got wrong?