PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 10:09
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF pilot

Taimoor,
Your age is starting to become a consideration. There is a lot of info on this thread. I suggest you give a lot of thought to the suggestions re tests etc.
The RAAF has more difficulty filling some of the non-pilot positions so they will probably offer you a position related to your IT experience. To counter any non-pilot offer, you may need to have a good reason for them to offer pilot training. One could be that you are interested in eventually instructor flying of drones. If that is the way in, think about it in advance. That would mean about 15 months to get your wings, 3 years on Orions or similar, instructor course perhaps 6 months. Then a couple of years of basic instructing. By that time the RAAF will probably have their own new drones.
Fast jet pilots are reluctantly operating drones. That is your passport, but they will never forget your interest in drones!! I doubt that they would ever put you on fighters.
Read the linked in profile of Jonathan McMullan who is the CO of the drone flight at Amberley. Also search on the internet for his comments at a recent seminar at the Gold Coast.
If you couldn't stand drone operating, try to find another good reason why you must only join as a pilot.
The main thing is to succeed and survive as a RAAF pilot. I joined in 1963. Of the 36 starters, 12 graduated. Within a year two died in aircraft accidents.