PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 13th Jul 2014, 12:11
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting...

So Arthur,

It seems that you are saying:
Barry Cole was corrupted by commercial interests and cooked the books...

Optometrists are the enemy, even though in the eighties they were totally suppressed by the ophthalmologists...
My recollections of the man and the motivation for the research in the mid-80s is a bit different from yours, it would seem. At the time, such vision research was not widespread among scientists as it was not seen as offering the path to academic glory that other research areas seemed to do. My memory is that it was quite highly regarded within that part of the Australian scientific community that concerned itself with matters of aviation.

However, I am very open to the thought that the biggest failure of the research by Barry's group was that it failed to challenge the eleventh commandment - that there is no place in aviation for CVD. I wholeheartedly agree with Creampuff that neither the evidence nor the ICAO SARPs support such a view and we should again challenge it as the starting point for all the current CASA nonsense. I am also open to the thought that much of the research of those times is flawed in terms of modern experimental designs and verification methods and, on that basis, the conclusions should also be challenged.

However, I would be disappointed if we stray from the pinnacle of the moral high ground by implying or directly impugning the motives of those who long preceded the present debate and whose role in your and Denison's case has not been examined with any hint of procedural fairness.

Stay Alive,