PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2014, 17:59
Danny42C

Ian BB,

Very interesting ! I never heard of a C-87 before. Of course we knew that Liberators had been roughly converted into makeshift transports to carry VIPs to distant shores (Churchill to Yalta ?), and the unfortunate General Sikorski of Poland had a B-24 which dived straight into the sea on a night take-off from Gibraltar in 1943. But I didn't know that there was a full-scale attempt to produce an official pax/goods transport out of the things. (I hereby create a new abbreviation: YLSNED [You Learn Something New Every Day] to add to our Lexicon). From what I now read, Churchill might've been safer in a good old battleship !

Your "Rathalana" was, of course: "Ratmalana". (Never got to Ceylon myself). "Nawai" ? - No idea ! Tried Google, got:

<Nawai Narai (pass) - Pakistan
pk.geoview.info/nawai_narai,1426345‎Cached
Nawai Narai is a pass and is located in Federally Administered Tribal Areas, (ie, "Injun Country") * Pakistan. ... pictures near Nawai Narai ... abandoned airfield, Razmak Airfield.>

* "There is rock to the left, and rock to the right, and low lean thorn between,
"And ye may hear a breech-bolt snick where never a man is seen." (Kipling: "The Ballad of East and West")

Followed up, got:

<Razmak Airfield, Pakistan - iTouchMap
itouchmap.com/?c=pk&UF=6276984&UN=6319781&DG...‎Cached
Maps, photos, and points of interst for Razmak Airfield, Pakistan - Spot Feature - Abandoned airfield>

Danny.