PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2014, 08:29
bananaman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't fly for BA, but would you care to explain this:

Quote:
so it's no wonder why good pilots don't get in and others do.

How exactly do you define this? That's a bit disrespectful isn't it?

sorry, something going on with the 'quote' function... but with regards to the above post, surely folk who might have been in a hold pool that was 'dissolved' (as one of the previous guys said) or who have never had the opportunity to apply for BA because they were in the 'wrong place at the wrong time' e.g sept 11th or financial crisis 2009 (and now flying for numerous airlines around the world e.g emirates, cathay etc) may lay claim they are of an 'appropriate fit' for BA but have been excluded. These folk may no longer wish to join BA but we are merely debating the merit of the assessment process. On the other hand when BMI was absorbed by BA, there were folk in BMI from P2F schemes... who correct me if i'm wrong never had to do an assessment with BA. Of course that's not to say, they are of an inferior standard or wouldn't get and pass an assessment if they applied directly but they were in the right place at the right time - this is just one example.

On another point what annoys me, is people bang on about the 'required fit'/stereotype and that personality is essential i.e skills you can train personality you cannot, so it suggests as long as you meet the minimums (and our aspirations are to achieve the best we can, over and above the minimums!) there is so much more that they are looking for. However Stage 1 really seems to be a bit random and an elimination process as BA or any other company for that matter simply wouldn't have the resources to interview everyone.... so if you happen to be on assessment where everyone was performing highly then you might get chopped even if you scored very highly and there was someone else better than you. The response is always the same though... 'you failed to demonstrate the skills BA is looking for' - could handle it if they just said you did well but there was someone else better than you! So while personality is important you might not even be given the chance to demonstrate this through interview, even if you meet the minimum standards - you're being judge purely on tests despite having an 'x' year incident free flying record... Anyway that's life, it doesn't just happen in Aviation assessments.