PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Waddington show - what happens now?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2014, 09:07
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Waddington show - what happens now?

Like everyone, I was disappointed to learn that there will be no show at Waddington next year. It seemed inevitable given the plans for the station's runway. What did disturb me was the tone of comments made by organisers, which suggested that the show might not return at all. I couldn't help feeling that this was inevitable too. A year's lapse is a good way to proverbially drop the ball and abandon the show business completely.

If the rumours that the Station Commander doesn't want a show are true, then maybe we should be asking the RAF what they think about this? Okay, if he doesn't understand the value of displaying taxpayer's assets to the taxpayers, he's clearly a fool, but there's no point expecting a "no show" man to put his support behind a show. Surely, we should be asking why the RAF cannot stage a show elsewhere?

Scampton's a wreck, Coningsby is busy and too far from the major road networks. Cottesmore is closed but potentially suitable. So is Wittering. Then there's Finningley - under civilian control but pretty-much dormant. One would think that some sort of arrangement could be made to take the show back to Finningley, and allow the civilian operations to continue during the event - it's not like this hasn't been done elsewhere.

Fundamentally, it depends whether the RAF still wants to have an annual showcase. Maybe they are going to claim that their efforts are now directed towards RIAT Fairford? If so, it's a pretty shabby business for the millions who live to the north. Likewise, RIAT isn't about the RAF at all (and it is arguably an over-priced show that is way past its sell-by date).

So what happens now? Will all the disappointed enthusiasts continue to moan until they realise that the Waddington show isn't coming back? Or should they direct their frustration to the corridors of Whitehall, and ask the RAF what's going on here?