PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peach aviation airbus almost lands in sea
Old 8th Jul 2014, 10:03
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, it certainly has. Couple that with the most incompetent air traffic controllers in Japan and the place is seldom out of the incident books :roll eyes: Even at 0130, when the US Air Force are tucked up in bed, Naha insists on the procedure i.e. dragging it in at 1000' for half a lifetime.......but cannot land before 0130 due to noise abatement
Well said Fratermate.

For those who have never been into Naha, some info.

Yes there is an RNAV Approach published for RWY18. But many operators (including mine) DO NOT allow RNAV approaches.
So the alternative is a VOR approach. And since many operators (including mine) DO NOT allow Managed VNAV on an NPA - you're on your own there.
No big deal, eh?
Well, maybe, but the published approach has a MANDATORY 1,000ft altitude at 8DME from the VOR. So you are going to fly 5 miles (roughly) in FULL LANDING CONFIG.
Yes, you must, because you are required to be stabilised by 1,000ft in most airlines, right?
Not only that - but also - ATC in Naha will more than likely instruct you to descend to 1,000ft way earlier. I've had it on downwind and base leg.
So this approach is anything but normal, or regular. Yes, they descended too early. But is this not an accident waiting to happen?
Dragging a modern jet along at 1,000ft agl for a dozen or more miles is a STUPID idea to begin with.
Blame those who designed the approach (US Military?).