PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2014, 09:57
Trossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam, There is clearly 'sam ting wong' with your comments here and that is that they are set in the 50ton++ jet market. There is a lot out there that isn't in that category and 'flaps' is clearly aiming at that. The pilot that I mentioned ("I know someone who gained his CPL and first airline job in his early 50s and he went on to retire as a captain.") was in a turbo-prop airline (and they can be 'reputable', stop sticking that 50ton++ jet nose of yours so high in the air!!) in Europe.

Flaps, that suggestion by James331 about not quoting your ATPL on your CV is very valid as most of the chief pilots in jobs like that will most likely only have a CPL themselves and could well see anyone mentioning his ATPL as a bit of a 'smart arse'. (I once actually sat in on a 'management' discussion that went along those lines!) Just put 'CPL' on your CV! Do a lot of research on the area before you go so that you know a fair amount of what you are talking about and can sound enthusiastic and that should put your chances of a job way ahead of the 20-year-olds who just want to do it for 'hours building'. You might even end up staying and becoming one of the senior pilots there!

The type of flying that you can do there is fun, so ignore anything said by any grumpy jet pilots who have never done bush flying!