PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 16:46
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melmothtw

the question has to be when does it cease to be a developmental aircraft
In my view the answer to that will depend on the job of the person giving the answer and also what guidance (personal pressures) they are under from their boss. Plus don't forget any answer may be taken out of context by the reporter - who could well have their own agenda.

Personaly I see this as a six decade programme that started for real say in 2000.

The first decade sees the start of flying.

The second decade covers most of the original development and flying machine clearances.

The third decade sees the military really getting to grips with what they can and cannot do with it. Plus the manufacturer is testing significant upgrades.

The forth decade it is the aircraft/system to beat plus upgrades are starting to reach the fleet.

The fifth decade ditto and all the fleet will have reached the final standard.

The sixth is where serious plans for its replacement have started.

Because of these views I am afraid I cannot get excited about which aircraft are doing wot this month. Although I realise a lot of people will not share my approach!

BTW if I were to guess about the fourth decade I would see the USAF A models having their tanks behind the cockpit removed and the space used for a generator to feed an enegy weapon using the now very well proven B power off take used for the fan.

Hey ho.

Last edited by John Farley; 4th Jul 2014 at 16:48. Reason: spelling