PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olivia Wirth-Emerging Leader
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 06:38
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Frank Burden:

All,

I was wondering if some of the invective on this thread reflects the rapidly reducing social standards of good manners and respect in our society?

I consider myself a professional working in the aviation industry and commend others to take a similar stand.

More than happy to read criticisms based on fact but gutter sniping is a low act.

Cranky Franky
I once thought that way too.... Then I saw how Board and senior executive appointments were made. Professionalism no longer has anything to do with it. It's a beauty contest.

Tartare:

Again - OW would have to prove she could run a P&L.
Marketing, Corp Affairs are overhead roles - you don't make any coin for the business.
The Board wants to see a proven track record that you can operationally run a large business, successfully drive change and make an acceptable profit. Put simply, you need to be a statesperson par excellence and know how to get large groups of people to do what you want.
She doesn't have that experience, and would need to spend a few years successfully running Jetstar or a part of the mainline business for example before she could put up her hand.
In a properly run business you are correct, but this is Qantas.

AnQrKa:

Sorry, too many female managers get a leg up by playing the discrimination game. Some Female managers are just bloody awful.