PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 21:40
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Blueskymine, off topic, but let me tell you how "to put that another way" started....

Over the years, I have had to deal with perhaps more than my fair share of morons in business and private life. I have found from bitter and occasionally life threatening experience that trusting that people understand what you have communicated without confirmation is very dangerous. That experience was hard earned in the Army, in business, on the roads, on the water, flying and maintaining such things as electrical appliances,

I have therefore developed the habit of trying to confirm that people actually understand the information I try to impart. In that I am guided by the neurolinguistic axiom that if communication fails it is the fault of the person trying to communicate, not the intended recipient.

Now I know its not necessary with the good and intelligent folk of Pprune, but it is a habit that's hard to break. It also occasionally results in "why are you telling me that again? I heard you the first time!!" exchanges with girlfriends.

My late partner had to deal with Chinese students who said "yes" to anything she told them. She developed her own response: "prove to me you know what I just told you". I often wonder if there would be less damaged C172's (bent firewalls) around if an instructor ordered their Chinese student to: "prove to me you know what will happen if you try to land at 75 knots."

To put that another way, I am deliberately trying to add some redundancy in my communication to increase the chances it is understood.