PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In the case of pilot error does the Captain always carry the can?
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 05:48
Exascot
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the case of pilot error does the Captain always carry the can?

There is an old thread (165071) dating back to 2005 about Kipper Fleet ‘Captains’ where this question is skirted around. Who got carpeted if the P1 went off the runway and the Captain was an AEO down the back?

We had an incident where a Captain was just finishing his LHS conversion. There was a copilot in the right hand seat but the aircraft commander was the Training Captain in the jump seat. Taxying in there was a set of steps port side with a ground crew chappie standing on top indicating that there was enough wing tip clearance. A millisecond after he jumped clear the wing clipped the steps. The Training Captain got ‘the’ interview.

What would happen if the CAS (not qualified on type) wanted a spin in a C130. He would have a training Captain in the RHS. The CAS screws up the approach (I know you wouldn’t sir, thank you for my monthly pension) the ‘Captain’ says, ‘I have control’ but the CAS flatly refuses to hand over and they prang. Does the CAS carpet the Captain?

Please can we not open another discussion on the famous Royal prang it has been hammered to death.