PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 25th Jun 2014, 02:04
Dora-9

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Watching the Skull blow his foofer valve is one of those little treats that life provides on occasions It is frightening, amusing, and in a perverted sort of way addictive to watch!
There will only ever be 1 screaming skull.
Aggreed 004!

In my time in Cathay I never saw a Skull eruption, but I sure as hell heard one!

With the introduction of the B777-300, the HK CAD took fright at the length of the thing and decreed that all converting B777-200 captains must undergo type-specific taxying training. They wanted the yoke painted bright red too, to remind you that you were in a -300 (in case you missed the u/c cameras etc). My "training", along with 5 others, took place early one morning, comprising a clockwise loop of Kai Tak's tarmac, and anti-clockwise loop follwed by a 180 degree turn on the end of the runway, all timed before the aerodrome opened at 0600. It was conducted by Skull - in my 6 years in Cathay I'd never laid eyes on the man, although I'd heard of him (who hadn't?) and I have to say that I was mightily impressed. It could so easily have degenerated into a Monty Python farce; he was calm, cool and very professional.

The eruption, when it came, was after we'd shut down at the end of the session. I was busy exploring the -300's cabin, standing in the rear galley (about as far from the flight deck as you can get) when I was overwhelmed by an avalanche of noise - an awful deafening screaming tirade, never to be forgotten. It was everything 004 described, and more. Apparently some hapless engineer had just come into the cockpit to inform Skull that the mainwheel tyres had been badly scrubbed (all those sharp turns).

Subsequently I had a few more dealings with the man; he was always calm and professional (but then I never had occasion to disaggree with him). He also struck me as being very, very intellegent - it would be sheer folly to underestimate him...