PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 07:39
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MaxShr

the potential for change in the bidline system AND SH working their socks off it really is an interesting proposition.
Given the firestorm that is raging elsewhere (i.e. BALPA forum and the in house BA forum) over the definite but supposedly only temporary changes made to Bidline to cover August's work I'd say that's an something of an understatement....

Good luck with the assessment but given the state of flux with Bidline at the moment I'd recommend that any successful applicants have a very critical and careful look at what BA's rostering system looks like at the end of this summer before signing on the line - especially if you value having more than a weeks notice of your days off early in a month and/or have ongoing family commitments such as childcare (be aware, if you are not, that generally under current Bidline there isn't an underlying pattern of days on/days off). Under the temporary (?) arrangements announced last week we won't know our confirmed August rosters until 25th July at the earliest, so this patch up of Bidline is a bit of a horror story for anyone who has made plans or is trying to make plans for activities outside work.

it's a long term career which I think will pay off as I wish to go long haul.
Fair enough, but remember if you are successful in getting into BA you will almost certainly be "serving time" in short haul for quite a while because it takes a long time to dig that tunnel that allows you to escape to long haul, if that's what you want (i.e. years at least, decade plus probably). Regardless on where you plan on ending up you really do need to seriously consider the life style issues and problems associated with BA short haul before making any decisions. BTW to give you some idea here's a video of a BA short haul pilot finally making the transition to a long haul fleet -

I know regardless of what I say successful applicant will sign on the line regardless, I'd probably do the same....but please don't pop up on the forums in a year or two under another name complaining that rostering was better at Easyair or Ryanjet.....you've been given a heads up....

Last edited by wiggy; 23rd Jun 2014 at 09:12.