PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Turbines & Mil Ac Issues
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 12:58
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
JAMESMAN please send me a PM.

Immediate action is to ensure that the application is called in by your local councillor once a formal planning application has been made. Failing to do so means that the application can be dealt with by delegated powers and you will not be able to present a personal objection. The application will be dealt with by planning officers using written evidence only. We have suffered from this locally.

As has been said the MOD has a safeguarding unit at Harrogate which is consulted on all wind turbine issues. I have contacted them more than once pointing out that the proliferation of wind turbines in our area which is a low flying area is potentially dangerous. They have never objected yet, even though the current planned turbines are 400 feet in an area where aircraft are cleared down to 250 (200?).

The only objections from the MOD that I have seen are on radar interference grounds and more recently where one turbine was to be sited on a low flying route choke point. This latter objection was upheld and planning permission refused.

We successfully opposed a wind turbine at our local airfield by citing the fact that it was on the turn between downwind and base leg at a height that would be dangerous particularly in bad weather. We are currently awaiting the plannning inspectorate report on another site where a developer has applied to put a turbine less than a 100m from the end of an established runway. We are hopeful that this application will also be rejected.

If you can demonstrate that the turbine will be dangerous to aircraft approaching an airfield particularly in bad weather remembering that the 500 foot rule does not apply during the takeoff and landing phase ( Also remembering that altimeter error within limits can bring an aircraft even lower) you may have a good case.

There has been one case in Europe of an aircraft hiting a turbine in bad weather (lucky to survive) and more than one in the USA. Aviation safety can be a strong card if played correctly.

Last edited by ericferret; 19th Jun 2014 at 13:16.