PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 10th Jun 2014, 03:18
CoftC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Example of a letter for colleague support??

I thought I might provide a suggestion/example of a letter that could be passed onto work colleagues who might be willing to support CVD pilots in this matter by lobbying the Senators and local MPs also?
I would encourage if you use to modify and ad lib as desired.

What do you think? Feedback welcome...

----------------------------

The Hon Warren Truss MP
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development
[email protected]

Senator David Fawcett
[email protected]

Senator Nick Xenophon
[email protected]

Senator Bill Heffernan
Chair - Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport – Legislation Committee
[email protected]

Senator Glenn Sterle
Deputy Chair - Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport – Legislation Committee
[email protected]

Your Local MP
Members and Senators - Parliament of Australia

Re: CASA vs CVD Pilots

Dear__________ ,

As a professional colleague of Colour Vision Defective, yet capable pilots, I wish to show my support for CVD pilots and their ability to continue to safely operate aircraft within Australia and beyond.
I have personally flown with CVD pilots, and can attest that, from my experience, they have shown in practice to be equally safe and proficient in operating aircraft as colour normal pilots. They also undergo the same training & checking requirements as colour normal pilots, and have proven themselves in many operational situations which I have witnessed.

It is for this reason I write to you, asking that you would support the Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Hon Warren Truss MP, and Senator David Fawcett in their efforts to ensure fair and safe outcomes for pilots and the aviation industry as a whole.

It caused great concern to me, and many of my professional colleagues and their families, when the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) changed their policies and procedures last week – without any industry consultation or notification - affecting the treatment of Colour Vision Defective (CVD) pilots.

It should be noted:
• CVD pilots have been operating safely in all levels of aviation in Australia for the past 25 years
• there has never been an accident attributed to Colour Vision Deficiency worldwide

However, CASA announced policy changes last week that will prevent many CVD pilots from having a career in Australia. This not only will affect a considerable number of current Airline pilots, but will also negatively affect many pilots serving regional and remote communities, including those providing valuable passenger and freight charter services, as well as life-saving aeromedical operations such as the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

CASA have announced they are changing from operational testing to laboratory-derived Colour Assessment and Diagnosis (CAD) testing for pilots. The rationale for CASA’s change has not been explained, nor any supporting evidence provided. However, this new policy will deny new CVD pilots who cannot pass CAD testing, as CASA will not grant them a Class 1 Medical, unnecessarily precluding them from employment as a pilot in any form, regardless of the nature of the operation.

If this change in standard is extended to current pilots, many will lose their entire career, despite an impeccable safety record.

Australia has led the rest of the world in giving CVD pilots a fair go since the landmark “Denison” case in the AAT in 1989, allowing CVD pilots to conduct commercial operations and earn a living in aviation. The tireless work of colour vision expert, Dr Arthur Pape, has paved the way for Australian pilots to have fulfilling and safe careers in the industry. Dr Pape is also supporting the rights of CVD pilots in another upcoming AAT hearing in July of this year.

Over the last 25 years and tens of thousands of hours, CVD pilots have proven themselves to be equally safe in operating aircraft to colour normal pilots. Many competent and safe pilots fail the CAD test, but have proven by experience that they can accomplish the safe performance of duties and safely operate an aircraft. In fact, it is debatable if the new CAD test that CASA has suddenly introduced is sufficiently of an “operational nature” for the final level of testing as required by current law. Only 35% of CVD's pass the CAD test, eliminating many proven safe pilots.

The recently published Aviation Safety Regulation Review (ASRR), released by Minister of Infrastructure and Regional Development, Hon. Warren Truss, found that major changes to were required to CASA in order to meet the future prosperity and sustainability of the aviation industry, and suggested that the industry had lost confidence in the regulator.

Consistent with these findings relating to the conduct of CASA, just last week CASA sent a letter to all Air Operators in Australia asking them to “consider whether it is safe to allow these (CVD) pilots to continue to exercise the privileges of their license”. Although citing “recent medical research”, it gave no evidence for substantiating such a claim. This letter is extremely disappointing and distressing as it could jeopardize the employment of many long-serving and dedicated pilots and is completely unjustified.

Senator David Fawcett has been an outstanding and faithful ambassador for the rights of CVD pilots in Australia to continue to fly safely. I urge you to support him in bringing a fair outcome for the CVD pilots who have dedicated their lives to safe flying operations in Australia.

I also encourage you to support the Minister for Infrastructure & Regional Development, Hon Warren Truss MP, to ensure the appropriate changes are implemented within the regulator to ensure the continuing safety and prosperity of the aviation industry in Australia.

Yours faithfully,