PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Discipline
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2014, 06:24
HighLow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,
cool the jets here for a second, back to BASICS !!
and to all those trigger happy posters out there, I am NOT trying to teach people to suck eggs here BUT:
(and to be fair to the pilot who is trying to achieve an efficient CDA)
lets talk about what is legal and what is allowed!

--------------------
PUT VERY SIMPLY !!!
--------------------
* in a busy TMA in the HOLD ! min ROD 1000fpm is what is expected, SIMPLE !

* in a busy TMA (or any TMA for that matter) and on the published STAR
Pilot MUST:
Point 1. adhere to all Speed and Vertical constraints on the Arrival
Pilot CAN
Point 2. fly min rate of descent 500 fpm is allowed as long as Point 1 is satisfied in full
NOTES:

* If you doubt Point 2, check ICAO regulations !
(ALSO: if one is too lazy to check, then you just have to trust me on point 2) (Of course, mature professional feedback welcome, but please to avoid massive drift; no pilot technique comments plz - we are talking about the legality of pilot descending at minimum 500fpm in a TMA, when flying a CDA)
AS LONG AS POINT 1 IS SATISFIED, POINT 2 is ALLOWED !

* If the ATC controller (who no doubt is extremely busy in a TMA like Dubai) is hassling a pilot for not descending quick enough; EITHER
1) Give the Pilot a specified ROD
Also on vectors with no specified ROD, the pilot can descend at 500fpm should he/she wish !
2) Query the Design of the Published Arrival
So long as the pilot is STILL adhering to ALL of the constraints of the STAR, the pilots job is done ! it is the design of the STAR at fault and not the pilot or ATC controller !
If the airport wishes a plane to be right downwind at 3000aal , so bit it, PUBLISH IT,

i will say it again.....

If the airport wishes a plane to be right downwind at 3000aal , so bit it, PUBLISH IT,

Otherwise, the pilots can descend how he/she likes (of course as long as it is safe)
notwithstanding any specific request from the ATC controller
(500fpm minimum ROD IS allowed and perfectly legal !!)

And to those skippers who use the FO like an Autopilot !
If as a Captain, you are uncomfortable turning base at 4,500 aal approx at an airport at Sea Level in ISA conditions, well thats not the First Officers issue, ok, you might fly it differently, but perhaps consider the following:
the FO might be well experienced in this regard and have NO issue with this configuration and profile. Granted if its getting silly and way high on approach, intervene, but let the FO please fly the aircraft!!!

I might be just pissing into the wind, but a reminder of the legal requirements as mentioned above, might be useful to this debate !

Last edited by HighLow; 9th Jun 2014 at 06:27. Reason: Spelling - Typo