PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair B738 at Mallorca on May 29th 2014, wheel well fire indication
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 14:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rat, I agree with all of that.
My question "why did the wheel well fire warning come on?" was somewhat rhetorical, and directed at the Bang it on ASAP thinking.
One scenairio:
You fly a wingover and roll out onto 5 mile finals, rattling through what you can of the checklist. Maybe you don't notice one, then the other B sytem light coming on. The flap/gear config warning is just a distraction, now. And as you scoot down the runway you realise that the Flap40, normal brakes, max reverse you were relying on is not there. Or one of the tyres.
Afterwards at the investigation, the surviving crew member says she heard lots of banging just after take-off, which got worse when the gear went up, and stopped when it went down again, but the flight deck never did get onto the interphone to discuss it.
Maybe you were sharp enough to go around, sharp enough not to retract the gear. But you've saved no time.
Some kind of failure management, however brief, is time well spent.
Boeing, themselves say "Plan, to land at the nearest suitable airport. (my bold).
As for cameras. Yes, it would be nice. It shouldn't be too expensive these days, particuarly with clean sheet designs. But unless you make it a no-go then departing with u/s cameras puts you in the same situation.
All the above just my humble, although I have at least been in "Land at nearest..." a few times.