PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Seletar - 1950s
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 22:52
Warmtoast

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I was at Seletar in 1957 and had a trip in a 205/209 Sqn Sunderland on a "Firedog" bombing raid over the Malayan jungle. It was at night and I don't remember much about it apart from the bombs being loaded on moveable bomb rack rails with the bombs being "railed" out from the fuselage to underneath the wing and then released.

Sadly at that time Sunderlands were on their last legs and being broken up for scrap as seen below. The fuselage hatch though which the bombs were moved on to the wing is clearly visible under the wing.

Christmas 1957 and some men got a bit "bolshie" and overturned this instructional airframe of a Harvard on the Seletar parade ground:

On a trip from Seletar to China Bay we overnighted at RAF Glugor (Penang) and this photo shows the aircraft being refuelled there:

Lovely panoramic windows:

The only photo of a Sunderland that I took in colour was this one that I took at Gan in 1958 as it was moored in the lagoon.

Last edited by Warmtoast; 3rd Jun 2014 at 20:46. Reason: To add details of fuelage hatch.