PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Discipline
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 10:16
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The attitude of some controllers throughout the Gulf can at times be rather agressive I must admit. However, I also agree that the standard of RT and the lack of RT discipline by some aircraft operating in the Gulf can also be beyond limits of minimum acceptable. I am sorry to have to say that some of the most non-standard RT does come from a few of the North Americans. They read back partial instructions without even using their callsign, unacceptable.

I will admit that I make mistakes on the radio but I try to be standard at all times. It is poor professionalism when either end of the radio offer anything but "standard" phraseology in an acceptable manner. There is a hidden anger and frustration behind some people on the radio and a little more patience and effort to be professional should be considered when going to work.

With many mixed nationalities in the vast majority of middle east cockpits, they do not speak fluent English lvl 6. However, it is not all the cockpits problems as there are controllers from the Netherlands who are not always the easiest to understand, Australians who seem to have zero tolerance as well as some female European controllers. When operating in the M/E a few people seem to talk on the radio like the way they drive thier SUVs (it's all about me attitude).

I will say that there is tiredness and there is fatigue and both ARE on either end of the microphone, we have to over come our issues and deal with it and remain professional and make standard calls. I am not writing this for any other reason but for those who read it to be standard and have respect to make all our time on the airwaves safe and easier.