PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 22:17
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO (and others),

I'm an engineer. I'm not a strategist, not even a tactician. I just try to get the technical facts out there to help keep some of the opinioneering from going too far off piste, especially when it veers into disrespecting the good engineers working the F-35, who, yes, DO have a scooby what they are doing.

Yes, the Gripen is a very capable aircraft. I don't think it would operate off an L class though. (sorry, probably a cheap shot, but we were taking about going somewhere where there's no host nation support). I seriously doubt that it would get off the ground fully loaded in 800 meters, but I'd be happy to be surprised. But if you are seriously suggesting Gripen as a practical option for the USMC, well, I don't think we've got much to discuss. All I'd suggest is make your mind up - A-10 or Gripen? Or both?

But look, we are in some danger here of having one of those 'bike shed' type discussions kids have. You know, the 'yes, but the X400 super bike has a bigger engine and...' type discussions. The points I addressed were about the technicalities of whether a STOVL aircraft like F-35 could operate from a forward strip.

You want to move on to strategy and the operational aspects, and I will happily leave any responses to that to others. If the basis of your argument is that the USMC's plans and strategy are all wrong, then please, by all means, have at them. Free countries and all that.

As to F-35 air to air capability, I'll respectfully take the assessments (not opinions) of the RAF and RN pilots I know who are developing the tactics for the aircraft, over opinions expressed on this thread. It's their abilities and imaginations that will swing the balance.

I think it's time for me to draw my role in this exchange to an end. Hope I've helped clarify a few things along the way.

Best regards to all those willing to try something new, somewhere new.

Engines