PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 12:59
Hosepipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW 1

Re Wiley´s Post Apr 2009 - I appreciate that this is now an old Post - but with the Centenary coming up, its still relevant.
I have just finished a book called 'Through German Eyes' by Chris Duffy. Its a very interesting insight to the British Offensive on the Somme in 1916, and it left me thinking that the 'Lions led by Donkeys' outlook on the British War effort is largely unfounded. I was surprised how quickly lessons were learn´t and applied during this offensive.
Another excellent book is '1918: A very British Victory' by Peter Hart, which examines the successful British offensive of 1918, that defeated the German Army and led to the Armistice.
In the past I have been very much a student of WW2 - so these books have been an eye opener to me, and its difficult not to reflect that the hard won lessons of WW1 were largely lost in the inter-war years, as the focus of the UK Military shifted to minor skirmishes with ill equipped rebels. One can only ponder, if history is repeating itself.......

Last edited by Hosepipe; 28th May 2014 at 13:02. Reason: Correction